Thursday, June 29, 2017

A word about the WIP




One of the issues I find with romance is that the expected structure – person A meets person B, A and B fall in love and after much toing and froing there's a HEA or at least a HFN – makes it very difficult to write another romance book about the same couple. Put it simply, I don't think you can. I tried it once, with the sequel to Morgan's Choice, Morgan's Return. But while you might classify Morgan's Choice as a romance, Morgan's Return really isn't. They met in the first book, they go through some troubles in the second book, but they're already a couple. OK, you might say MC was Happy For Now and in MR there's a Happy Ever After. I suppose. But I'd rather describe both books as action/adventure in space, with a romance arc.

I've hit a similar problem in my Dryden Universe books. I'm in the process of writing a sequel to Eye of the Mother, in which Tian Axmar and Brent Walker become a couple. So… where to from here? I didn't want the story to end because it has so many wonderful 'what if' elements, so much to explore. I can go into who set up Tian to fail and why? How will Brent cope with his new status as an Imperial agent? And there's always the politics – humans versus aliens, grubby deals, skulduggery… 

All of that's in this new story, which now has a provisional title – For the Greater Good. It also has a new character. I think you'll like her. She's an auralfang – a type of feline. I've had a heap of fun finding out more about her as I write. That cover up there is just something I mocked up - it's called procrastination - my usual cover designer will do a final, professional cover for me. But it gives an impression of what it's all about.

And here's a lorikeet picture.



3 comments:

  1. I still find myself questioning whether my latest work is a romance or not when it comes to labelling it on retailers. I agree if the couple are a couple at the end of book one, then the romance is 'done', so I'm trying to do the romance part via secondary characters in the rest of the books of the series. I guess I'm still no expert on it definition wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FWIW I don't think anybody is. There are so many grey areas in this genre business. I'm getting to the point where I just have to shrug and do what *I* want to do. Because if I try to make it into a romance, it's going to be artificial.

      Delete
  2. I'm doing something similar with Sair and Drea's (troubled) future in Inherit the Vengeance. They're already married...with children, but a rocky road after the vows are spoken does not a romance make. So another couple will be the starring H/H and the two storylines will intersect. Or more like intertwine. Actually, several storylines will intertwine because this will be the last plotted book of the series...but no spoilers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)