Thursday, October 22, 2015

Corrina Lawson's favourite character

Corrina Lawson joins us today to tell us all about her favourite character.



I have a special fondness for optimistic heroes. Steve Rogers (Captain America) is my favorite Marvel cinematic hero and my favorite version of Batman is as Gotham’s guardian, not the grim-dark humorless knight.
So when I sat down to create my first original superhero, I wanted that optimism to be an integral part of his character. I wanted a hero who viewed his powers as a way to help people but also enjoyed them because they were just plain cool.
Thus was born Alec Farley of Phoenix Rising. I’ve been told that he’s an unusual alpha hero because of his open and friendly nature. Alec is uber-powerful, able to light something on fire with a thought or toss large object around with his telekinesis. Yet he’s also kind, willing to risk exposure to help a young boy from spilling his juice.
This lack of angst meant I needed to find conflict for Alec from an external source and that came from the world around him. Alec was isolated from the greater world since birth, schooled in the use of his powers, and educated but only with subject deemed relevant to his mentor. His mentor planned to use his protégé’s abilities to satisfy his own lust for power. In short, Alec’s superpowers have been pointed in the wrong direction.
But because Alec is who he is, he adjusts. He gathers allies, including the military-style strike team that he trained with, a cynical black ops agent, and, most of all, Beth Nakamora, the woman who showed him the world and the real meaning of heroism.
At the climax of Phoenix Rising, when Alec and Beth join their powers to defeat the enemy, I couldn’t resist including my favorite reference from the original Superman movie. In a way, Alec is the Superman of my storyverse, a man who has seen the worst of humanity but retains hope in the best of us.
This is why Alec remains a joy to write in his appearances in the sequel books and why I can’t wait to give him the spotlight again.

Corrina is a former newspaper reporter with a degree in journalism from Boston University. A mom of four, she now works from home writing romance novels with a geeky twist and as the Content Director and co-founder of GeekMom.com.

Amazon link for PHoenix Rising: http://amzn.to/1RQoIwm


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Corinna. I love these little insights into how author brains work :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)